Friend

cerulean-cirlces-960x600

I have no idea how he knows when I need him.
We can go weeks without speaking,
and then, when my blue moods threaten to turn black,
he will show up and tell me my moods are:
azure,
indigo,
cerulean,
cobalt,
periwinkle–
and suddenly the blue will not seem so dark,
more like the color of a noon-bright sky.
He brings the sun.

— David Levithan, The Realm of Possibility

Notes:

The dynamic of friendship is almost always underestimated as a constant force in human life: a diminishing circle of friends is the first terrible diagnostic of a life in deep trouble: of overwork, of too much emphasis on a professional identity, of forgetting who will be there when our armored personalities run into the inevitable natural disasters and vulnerabilities found in even the most average existence. […] But no matter the medicinal virtues of being a true friend or sustaining a long close relationship with another, the ultimate touchstone of friendship is not improvement, neither of the other nor of the self, the ultimate touchstone is witness, the privilege of having been seen by someone and the equal privilege of being granted the sight of the essence of another, to have walked with them and to have believed in them, and sometimes just to have accompanied them for however brief a span, on a journey impossible to accomplish alone.

~ David Whyte, Consolations: The Solace, Nourishment and Underlying Meaning of Everyday Words

Comments

1. Reblogged this on Anika Smit – Just Keep Going and commented:
    Friendship is something that makes me rise out of my bed everyday!!!

2. Beautiful, and fortunately I am blessed with a couple of these * very* special people…

Liked by 2 people

3. “…the ultimate touchstone of friendship is not improvement, neither of the other nor of the self, the ultimate touchstone is witness, the privilege of having been seen by someone and the equal privilege of being granted the sight of the essence of another,…”

This is a gift too often taken for granted.

Liked by 2 people

4. Friendship what a great post without friends we can’t achieve much in this world. To have two good friends is a serious blessing. Thank you for the post and your friendship. Melody http://www.donkeywhisperer.com

5. Reblogged this on Donkey Whisperer Farm Blog and commented:
    Real friends are rare and angels sent by GOD in Jesus Christ precious name. Remember to have 2 really good friends is rare in this world we live in. If you have 2 really good friends you are blessed indeed.

6. Lovely post. I love the use of the blues to show the moods

7. it is an unspoken understanding.

Liked by 2 people

8. Everyone needs a friend like this. I love colors to describe emotions — we are all kaleidoscopes, echoing the color of the moment. Great blog, David!

9. Weather – troubled, dark and moody, I always tune into James Taylor and You’ve got a friend.

10. Reblogged this on A Grateful Man and commented:
    This post deeply resonated within me. Thank you for sharing it, David.

11. ❤ ❤ ❤ Yes!

12. Mrs. P says:

Reblogged this on Destination Unknown and commented:
    One of the best things about reading other blogs is the discovery of a superbly crafted thought. This one is about the dynamic of friendship. I thoroughly enjoyed this one and hope you will like it too.

13. Mrs. P says:

Wonderful share. I passed it along as well. Thanks.

14. I’m sending your poem to a good friend – thank you!

15. simply beautiful.